I have to be honest, I thought Milano would be a lot colder than it is. It seems that this winter we’ve been blessed with a pretty mild January/February – unlike when I was in Greece two years ago and everyone complained that it was the coldest winter in half a century!
Blue skies have come along quite often recently (don’t want to say too much in case I jinx it hehe) and the city is just amazing. Milan comes alive, as most wintery cities do when the sun comes out to say hello. In particular, I love the Navigli area on a Sunday – two canals where you can find cafes spilled on to the streets, weekend markets, and family and friends munching on gelatos.
Today, I’d like to share a couple of the places that I’ve discovered so far, in case you find yourself visiting Milan on a beautiful sunny day:
– Coffee – Peck – Situated near the Duomo, this is a relatively high-end café with the most delicious coffee ever. If you have it at the bar, it’s not much more expensive than normal places and it also has a deli section very similar to what you find in Harrods!
– Aperitivo – Manhattan, Navigli – Aperitivo is what the Italian’s call “Happy Hour” and consists purchasing a drink (cocktail, non-alcoholic, whatever) and you get a free buffet of mouthwatering delights. So far Manhattan on the Navigli has had one of the best spreads.
– Pizza – Spontini – This awesome pizzeria began on Via Gaspare Spontini back in 1953. It only serves one type of pizza, a thick deep-pan pizza, either single or double mozzarella. An Italian substitute to fish and chips? Yep, I think so! (Check out the last pic)
– Breakfast – California Bakery – Although not Italian per se, this bakery is said to be one of the best in Milan. Listed in the book “Where Chefs Eat,” it’s bound to be a great place to start your day.
– Mozzarella bar – Obika – A restaurant based solely around mozzarella. Seriously, could it get any better? What’s more, one of the locations has a view of the Duomo – A-mazing!!!
And to finish off, here are a few snaps I took on the most glorious blue-skied afternoon…